Community Service Resources
Practitioners should feel empowered to give back to their communities. Here are some resources to guide you.
We are pleased to offer the following guide to assist practitioners in providing massage in their communities: Massage Therapy for the Underserved in Your Community: How to Launch a Successful and Sustainable Community Service Project
Published Articles about MTF-Funded Community Service Projects
- “Charitable Hearts and Hands-Serving the Underserved” by Karrie Osborn – published in the March/April 2009 issue of Massage and Bodywork Magazine.
- “Ventures in Therapeutic Massage for Developmentally Disabled Adults”– This project led by Kathryn Greschner of Cornerstone Ministries, Inc. in Cumberland, WI is featured in the BIOTONE Winter 08/09 Catalogue.
- “Paula Termini’s Story”– published in the Summer 2008 issue of AMTA Florida Journal. This article highlights a 2005 Massage Therapy Foundation community service grant entitled “Special Care for the Childbearing Year: Perinatal Massage”.
- “The Hopevale Massage Therapy Project”– published in the Winter 2008 issue of the Journal of the Australian Association of Massage Therapists. This project, funded by the Massage Therapy Foundation in 2006, promotes the health of marginalized communities through hands-on treatments.
- ”Bodywork for the Homeless”– published in the Spring 2008 issue of Washington Massage Journal by Cynthia Price, PhD. It features a Foundation-funded community service project awarded to Alternative Healthcare Access Campaign in Seattle, WA in 2007.
- “Connecting Passion and Community Service” by Jean Ives – published in the Fall 2007 issue of mtj on several past Massage Therapy Foundation Community Service Grant recipients.
- “Camp Hope”– an article published in mtj about a 2006 Community Service Grant recipient Nancy Smith providing therapeutic massage to pediatric burn survivors.
- “Giving Expectant Moms the Gift of Touch” by Kelle Walsh – published in Massage Magazine on 2005 grant recipient Paula Termini and her project, “Special Care for the Childbearing Year: Perinatal Massage.”