Research Grant Application
One aspect of the mission of the Foundation is to fund solid research studies investigating the beneficial applications of massage therapy.
Our 2020 Research Grant application process is now open!
We now offer 2 types of research grants.
Massage Therapy Foundation Research Support Grants and Research Awards are awarded to individuals or teams conducting studies that promise to advance our understanding of specific therapeutic applications of massage, public perceptions of and attitudes toward massage therapy, and the role of massage therapy in health care delivery.
MTF research grants support high quality, independent research that contributes to the basic science of massage therapy application, including applied research investigating massage therapy as a health/mental health treatment and/or prevention modality. The research grant is available to investigators who have experience in the relevant field of research, and are presently associated with a university, independent research organization, or other institution qualified to act as Sponsoring Organization.
MTF Research Support Grant (up to $30,000)
- Application deadline March 2, 2020 (one full application).
- The maximum award is $30,000 for a one-year project period.
MTF Research Award (over $30,000)
- Pre-proposal application deadline is July 1, 2020
- Full proposal deadline is October 1, 2020.
- Amount awarded is between $30,000 to $300,000 and must be used in the specific time period for which it has been awarded (can be used over the course of multiple years).
- MTF Research Award grant cycle occurs twice a year (Round 1 & 2). Current pre-proposal deadline is July 1, 2020. Next opportunity to submit pre-proposal opens immediately thereafter and closes December 1, 2020.
Research Award pre-proposal (LOI) submission deadline: July 1, 2020 at 5:00 pm EST.
Research Award full proposal submission deadline: October 1, 2020 at 5:00 pm EST
Research Award pre-proposal (LOI) submission deadline: Dec. 1, 2020 at 5:00 pm EST
Research Award full proposal submission deadline: March 1, 2021 at 5:00 pm EST
For more information, please contact:
“I believe in the power of massage and its impact on health and wellness. Receiving this grant has helped me to introduce research to the next generation of researchers: students. This powerful experience has allowed them to grow and gain an understanding they didn’t have before. The MTF has provided me with an invaluable opportunity. To have funding available for massage is an incredible gift. I am so thankful for the efforts and work of the Foundation.”
– Mark Blegen, Research Grant Winner.