Research Grant Application
One aspect of the mission of the Foundation is to fund solid research studies investigating the beneficial applications of massage therapy.
The Massage Therapy Foundation now offers 2 types of research grants: Research Support Grants (up to $30,000) and Research Awards (over $30,000).
Massage Therapy Foundation research grants are awarded to individuals or teams conducting studies that promise to advance our understanding of specific therapeutic applications of massage, public perceptions of and attitudes toward massage therapy, and the role of massage therapy in health care delivery.
MTF research grants support high quality, independent research that contributes to the basic science of massage therapy application, including applied research investigating massage therapy as a health/mental health treatment and/or prevention modality. The research grant is available to investigators who have experience in the relevant field of research, and are presently associated with a university, independent research organization, or other institution qualified to act as Sponsoring Organization.
MTF Research Support Grant (up to $30,000)
- 2020 Application deadline CLOSED March 2, 2020.
- 2021 Application process to open in January 2021.
- The maximum award is $30,000 for a one-year project period.
The following documents are for reference only; all documents to be updated prior to opening of 2021 cycle:
MTF Research Award (over $30,000)
- Amount awarded is between $30,000 to $300,000 and must be used in the specific time period for which it has been awarded (can be used over the course of multiple years).
- MTF Research Award grant cycle occurs twice a year (Round 1 & 2). Round 1 pre-proposal application process CLOSED September 1, 2020. Next opportunity to submit pre-proposal opens immediately thereafter and closes March 1, 2020 at 5:00 pm EST.
Research Award pre-proposal (LOI) submission deadline: CLOSED September 1, 2020.
Research Award full proposal submission deadline: December 1, 2020 at 5:00 pm EST
Research Award pre-proposal (LOI) submission deadline: March 1, 2021 at 5:00 pm EST
Research Award full proposal submission deadline: June 1, 2021 at 5:00 pm EST
“I believe in the power of massage and its impact on health and wellness. Receiving this grant has helped me to introduce research to the next generation of researchers: students. This powerful experience has allowed them to grow and gain an understanding they didn’t have before. The MTF has provided me with an invaluable opportunity. To have funding available for massage is an incredible gift. I am so thankful for the efforts and work of the Foundation.”
– Mark Blegen, MTF Research Grant Winner
For additional information, please contact:
Geri Ann Nelson, Program Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 847-905-1667
or Gini Ohlson, Executive Director, at email@example.com or 847-905-1520