2016 International Massage Therapy Research Conference
In 2016 our fourth triennial research conference took place in Seattle, Washington. This extraordinary event brought together massage therapists, researchers, educators, and a variety of health care professionals from all over the world. The International Massage Therapy Research Conference (IMTRC) served many purposes and specifically focused on giving attendees cutting edge research.
The conference featured three keynote speakers, three panel presentations, and a variety of breakout sessions.
We featured three prominent healthcare leaders as our keynote speakers: Wayne Jonas, MD from the Samueli Institute; Brett Bauer, MD from the Mayo Clinic; and Jo Smith, MT, M.Ed., PhD from the New Zealand Research Massage Therapy Research Center.
Twelve panel presenters spoke at the conference. Each afternoon four presenters spoke on a different topic.
We featured 18 different presenters that conducted breakout sessions on the following categories: body awareness, defining massage therapy practice, case reports, massage for movement, and massage in medical sessions.
The Foundation thanks the following:
- Planning Committee co-chairs Jerrilyn Cambron, LMT, DC, MPH, PhD and Ruth Werner, BCTMB
- IMTRC Planning Committee members
- AMTA-Washington Chapter for organizing and providing excellent complimentary on-site massage therapy for all attendees each morning during the daily general sessions.
- IMTRC premier sponsor, the American Massage Therapy Association (AMTA),
- Welcome reception sponsors, Massage Warehouse and Performance Health.
- Program book sponsor, Massage Warehouse.
We would also like to thank the following organizations and those who attended as vendors:
- Lanyard: Books of Discovery
- Keynote Speaker – Friday: Dr. Rogers Prize
- Poster Session: Registered Massage Therapists’ Association of British Columbia
- Speaker Session Sponsors: Alliance for Massage Therapy Education, Discoverypoint School of Massage, and Performance Health
- Coffee Breaks: Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards
- Wine and Cheese Reception: AMTA-Washington Chapter, Monroe Therapeautic Massage, Performance Health, Precision Neuromuscular Therapy, Universal Companies, and Upledger Institute