The Massage Therapy Foundation is nearing its 30th birthday! The Foundation was signed into being by the Secretary of the State of Illinois on August 3, 1990. MTF is organized and operated exclusively for charitable, scientific, and educational purposes including:
- to advance the science and art of massage therapy through education about the benefits of this health service;
- to promote the development of knowledge, scientific advancements, and community services in the massage therapy field;
- to secure and provide funding for research, education, and charitable community outreach initiatives.
The Massage Therapy Foundation is a 501(c)3 providing support to the massage therapy profession. Since 1990, MTF has provided over $1 million in research grants studying the science behind therapeutic massage. The Foundation founded and publishes an open-access, peer-reviewed scientific journal and provides many educational resources for massage therapists, educators, and students. MTF provides community service grants to populations in need of therapeutic massage who would otherwise lack access.
The practice of massage therapy is evidence-informed and accessible to everyone.
The Massage Therapy Foundation advances the knowledge and practice of massage therapy by supporting scientific research, education, and community service.
The Massage Therapy Foundation commits to:
- Upholding the principles of philanthropy
- Contributing to the understanding and appreciation of massage therapy
- Increasing the Foundation’s influence, credibility, and visibility in health and wellness
- Sustaining the Foundation’s organizational effectiveness
- Fostering the spirit of collaboration
- Advance research on therapeutic massage and bodywork.
- Foster massage therapy initiatives that serve populations in need.
- Promote research literacy and capacity in the profession.
- Support the evidence-informed practice of therapeutic massage and bodywork based upon available research, client factors, and practitioner experience and judgment.
- Fortify the Foundation’s financial resources and organizational effectiveness.
The Massage Therapy Foundation was founded by the American Massage Therapy Association in 1990 with the mission of advancing the knowledge and practice of massage therapy by supporting scientific research, education, and community service. The Foundation is able to provide these services by individual gifts, industry support, and fundraising events.
The Massage Therapy Foundation and AMTA
The Massage Therapy Foundation and the American Massage Therapy Association share a profound commitment to advance the massage therapy profession through promoting scientific research and evidence-informed practice.
Although we are separate organizations, together, we endeavor to collaborate as full strategic partners to realize our independent and interrelated missions. Our relationship will live in perpetuity.
While the American Massage Therapy Association is committed to financially supporting the work of the Massage Therapy Foundation, both organizations call for partners in funding the Foundation’s mission.
Massage Therapy Foundation
500 Davis Street, Suite 950
Evanston, IL 60201
Phone: (847) 869-5019
Fax: (847) 864-1178