Our Deepest Gratitude to Outgoing President Doug Nelson
Posted:Wednesday, February 24, 2021
The Massage Therapy Foundation (MTF) sincerely thanks Doug Nelson, LMT, BCTMB, our outgoing President, on Feb 28, 2021, for his many years of service and unyielding leadership.
Three years ago, Doug was doing important and fascinating work as a 40+-year massage therapy practitioner. In 2018, when Doug commenced his MTF Presidency, he wove his perspectives and experiences into the MTF tapestry to enhance massage therapy research and education, as well as the general enrichment of the MT profession.
Doug is an outspoken champion of the MT field. His dedication to serving the Foundation and the profession as a whole has earned him wide recognition, including receipt of the American Massage Therapy Association’s 2020 President’s Award.
Throughout his tenure as MTF President, Doug worked closely with MTF Board, committees, volunteers, and staff on many initiatives. His commitment contributed to heightening the important role of massage therapy research literature in the profession.
Some of the MTF’s accomplishments during his term include the following:
- Hosting MTF’s 30th Anniversary Celebration honoring donors and volunteers and supporting staff with its 30 Goals for 30 Years;
- Completion of Phase One of the MTF Ergonomics Project, that will likely help individual therapists lead longer, healthier, and more productive careers;
- Fundraising through participation in the Boston Marathon via the John Hancock Marathon Non-Profit Program;
- Presentation of the 2019 International Massage Therapy Research Conference (IMTRC)in Alexandria, VA, which provided attendees with inspiration and education about the latest innovations in massage therapy research;
- Revamp of the MTF Research Perch podcast series and recording of numerous new episodes;
- Initiation of the Doing Well by Doing Good program; donation of proceeds from one client per month to MTF, giving certificates to respective clients so that they know that their payment is donated to help people they will never meet;
- Rollout of the Instructor’s Guide to Teaching Research, an E-Book for all educators providing ready-made lesson and materials;
- Creation of the MTF Research Infographics initiative; and
- Introduction of a new Research Agenda to help guide the massage therapy profession for many years to come.
Fortuitously, Doug will remain as an Officer of the Foundation as Past-President and Chair of the Development/Marketing Committee. Doug’s professional guidance and good humor will remain infused in the Foundation as we collectively enhance our efforts to increase research literacy through new podcast episodes, blogs, infographics, and other programs to reach an ever-expanding audience of therapists, students, and educators.
Those who know or have met Doug understand that he is passionate about listening and getting to know others. Making a difference in the lives of people in need, Doug collaborated with and listened to massage therapists as well those in allied medical fields to better serve the MT profession. Through each encounter, he brought together the talents of others to help weave deeper meaning into the colorful MTF canvas.
Thank you, Doug, for helping to give our cloth a stronger foundation, reinforcing the 30 years of a strong underlying structure.